Written by Megan Manitta
The Christmas season always has a way of creeping up on us – and even more so when you’re in the middle of a global pandemic! Its no doubt that 2020 has thrown us all in for a loop. If this year has taught us anything, it is to appreciate everything – even the little things that we once deemed as “normal.” Many people need the support from their communities now more than ever before. If possible, it’s important to give back in any small or big way. Check out the 5 ways you can contribute down below!
- Donate to a food bank
- Food insecurity is at an all-time high due to COVID-19. Due to the loss of thousands of jobs and funding for employment – so many individuals rely on the help of food banks to put food on the table. Donating to your local food bank can make a tremendous difference in someone’s life. One of our favorite food banks is Island Harvest, located here on Long Island. We are proud to donate 50% of our profits to food banks such as IH!
- Thank an essential worker
- Our essential workers have worked so hard during the pandemic – and not all get to have off during the holidays. A simple way to show your appreciation is sending letters of encouragement to your local health care workers, paramedics, police officers and firefighters. Sending food donations is an even more generous way to give back.
- Make deliveries to seniors or others in need
- It is important that we keep our elder and immune compromised community members safe. You can help the vulnerable population by delivering meals to their homes, keeping in contact, or even raising money for support. Many face this pandemic alone, and it is up to us to help in whichever way we can.
- Support a local business
- Business’ suffered during this time and many cannot return after the nation-wide lockdown. An easy way to give back is to promote and post about your favorite local business! You can even share about them by word-of-mouth with your family or friends. An even bigger way to support is to purchase a gift for your loved ones, if you can.
- Through your local Adopt-A-Family program, you can make someone’s holiday wishes come true. Now, more than ever, families will struggle to give gifts to their loved ones. You can contribute by sending money to this charity, donating gift cards or buying something off a family’s Christmas list!
So, how will you give back this year? Let us know what you will be doing to contribute!